Question: What can you tell us about Gabe’s Fish Camp restaurant in Dothan?
Responnse: According to Polk’s City Directory of 1955, the restaurant was located at that time on Enterprise Road (US 84 West), a continuation of West Main Street from the city limits.
The owners were named Darwin “Gabe” and Elizabeth S. Heeter, who lived at 307 S. St. Andrews St.
An advertisement in the 1960 yearbook announced a new location for the restaurant on Montgomery Highway (US 231 North).
Among the dishes on offer were dinners of catfish, steaks, chicken, shrimp and frog legs. The phone number was 792-8692.
A reference in a later directory listed the address as 2811 Montgomery Highway, between the intersections Radcliff Road and Murphy Mill Road. The address numbers on Montgomery Highway have since changed.
The restaurant had a competitor down the road. Snell’s Fish Camp, operated by Mrs. Radie P. Casey at 2507 Montgomery Highway, was located near Foy Glover Wrecking Co. (used auto parts) at 2411 Montgomery Highway.
In its later years, Gabe’s Fish Camp operated under other names (Ezell’s Fish Camp in 1977 and Ezell’s Catfish Cabin in 1980, for example). Address 2811 was listed as vacant from the 1981 directory.
Subscribe to our Daily Headlines newsletter.