The health benefits of seafood cannot be celebrated enough! It’s good for your heart and brain while fighting inflammation.
Dietitian Kim GalÃ©az says eating seafood just TWICE a week can make a big difference. She shares some recipes that show all forms of fish are healthy, including canned ones!
Smoked Salmon on Bagel or Toast
- Favorite whole wheat or whole grain bagel or bread, toasted
- Cream cheese
- 1 pkg. (4 oz.) Private Selection smoked salmon
- Sliced ââtomatoes
- Red onion strips
Spread cream cheese on a bagel or toast. Top with at least 2 ounces (per sandwich) of smoked salmon. Garnish with the desired amount of tomatoes, red onions and capers. Enjoy. Makes 1 to 2 sandwiches.
Kim’s Shrimp and Cheese Oatmeal
- 4 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup stone-ground oatmeal (or coarsely ground cornmeal)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 – 1 Â½ cups grated Kroger Extra Old Cheddar Cheese
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil or butter
- 1 Â½ to 2 pounds of frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed and patted dry
- Desired spices, such as Old Bay Seafood seasoning, garlic and / or onion powder
- 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice (optional)
- Garnish: Italian parsley and / or chopped fresh oregano and chopped green onions and / or chives
Oatmeal: In a large saucepan, boil water. Stir in salt and grits / cornmeal, then reduce heat to very low / simmer. Cook, stirring at least every 5 minutes, until the oatmeal is thickened, about 40 to 50 minutes (depending on the size of the oatmeal / cornmeal). Stir in an additional tablespoon or two of water if you prefer finer grains. When the oatmeal is ready, remove from the heat and stir in the butter and grated cheese. Serve immediately in bowls with cooked shrimp. Refrigerate leftover oatmeal in a tightly covered container and use for 4 days. Makes about 4 Â½ cups of oatmeal.
Shrimp: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook oil or butter until heated through. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink / white, just a few minutes. Stir in the desired spices, seasonings and lemon juice. Pour shrimp over bowls of cooked oatmeal and garnish with parsley, oregano, chives and / or green onion.
Makes about 6 servings.
Maple mustard glazed salmon
- Â½ cup of maple syrup
- Â¼ cup favorite stone ground mustard
- Â¼ cup Kroger Spicy Brown Mustard
- Â¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- A little crushed red pepper (optional)
- Favorite cooked seafood (salmon, tilapia, halibut, haddock or any other favorite)
In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients until blended. Serve at room temperature over favorite cooked seafood. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1 cup of frosting / sauce.
Suggest a correction